A lot of travelers have been asking me how I made my rear-end bug netting, so here you go…(previously posted on Free Spirited Woman, no longer available).
I’ve been busy again… (September 2015)
Last year I put screens up on the two rear side windows of Mitzi, this time I made a net curtain for the huge rear end. I often need the rear door up for air, or cooking, or when it’s simply too hot, but frequently end up trapped inside with very little air because of swarms of mosquito’s, moths, or other bugs.
Right now I seem to be plagued by yellow jackets. I don’t know if there are just more of them this year, or if for some reason they are just drawn to me more. I had a bad experience with them last year when I got stung in four places on my ankle and my leg swelled up all the way to my knee and was that way for several days. Some said it was a normal reaction, and others said it wasn’t, so I don’t know for sure if I’m allergic to them or not but I don’t want to take any chances.
A couple of months ago I purchased a huge net curtain from the thrift store, and finally got in a creative mood.
Here is what I came up with.
I wanted to keep it simple. I didn’t want to have Velcro stuck on the metal and I wanted it to be easy to put on and take off. Just for the heck of it, I tried the simplest method I could think of. Thread a bungie through a sleeve at the top, and hook it to the upper door. The net was then hanging down loose. I then took three clips and clipped the net to the only three places available (see pictures below). Surprisingly, after I pulled the net around the edge of the seal and pulled it tight, it sealed off really well. (Since then I’ve purchased more clips, and I clip the net to the rubber gasket that seals the door instead ~ I use the kind that have room for the gasket to sit inside the clip, without crushing the gasket. It works perfectly).
All I had to do then was cut and sew the netting to the right size and finish off the edges, and voila, a bug net. (I had access to a sewing machine for a day).
Not sure if it will keep all the black flies out and I have no doubt I’ll improve upon it over time, but it sure works good for the bigger bugs, and of course the yellow jackets.
Here are more pictures:
I also made a slip over screen for one of the front doors, but I’ll show you that another time.
Please feel free to add your suggestions and ideas in the comments area. If you have pictures, all the better.
Until next time… enjoying my home bug and yellow jacket free…
Roxy ~ A Nomad for Nature